Tuesday, May 09, 2006

"I have always relied on the kindness of strangers" Tennessee Williams

I received a hand-out today.

A kind man, thinking I was homeless, gave me two bananas.

Let me explain. I went to the gym around lunch today. I often forget to eat when I'm at home and it's only when I leave my house that I realize my hunger. So, I get to the gym and realize that I haven't eaten a thing and I was not going to perform at peak capacity with a growling belly. The solution, I decided, was to purchase two bananas from the produce stand down the street.

Let me explain my appearance: my unwashed hair was pulled into a messy pony-tail. I was wearing ratty, old yoga pants with a free, 'I donated blood' tee shirt.

And, house shoes.

(my gym shoes were in my gym bag, of course)

So, I park behind the produce stand, and walk around to the front. I find the bananas, take two off the bunch and ask the man how much they cost. I had a dollar in my pocket and was prepared to pay his asking price. After hesitating and assessing my appearance, he informed me that they were 25 cents.

"Oh...okay...I have a quarter in my car"

However, before I could turn towards the exit, he told me that I could just have the bananas. For free.

"Thank you, sir. But, really, I have a quarter in my car"

By this time, though, I'm starting to realize that he doesn't believe I HAVE a car. Nor a home, most probably.

I pull a dirty, crumpled dollar from my pocket and show the man.

"See...I have money"

But, not wanting to take the last dollar from a poor, homeless woman, he declined my money, told me to take the bananas ("It's a hot day") and then said to me what people typically say to the homeless:

"God Bless You"

I was very humbled, very embarrassed, and feeling quite bad for taking the merchandise of a man that, I suspect, makes less money than I do.

Not knowing what else to do, however, I simply smiled at him, swallowed my pride and said "No, God bless you".

Perhaps, I'll become a regular customer of his.

A paying customer, of course.

(And, perhaps, I'll purchase some new gym clothes....)

15 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

What a great story and how interesting to be "on the other side".

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Wow, that is a winner of a story! Perception is truth, as they say.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Wait, that could be misconstrued. I don't mean to imply, Emily, that you are homeless in any sort of figurative way. :)

However, for the fruit vendor, his perception was his truth at that moment...which is a perfect depiction of how we all are as humans. There we go; that's a bit clearer now. ;)

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Thanks! :)

I figured I didn't have to clarify for your sake, but you never know who's watching these blogs. ;)

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Your mom sounds equally great!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

ha... I liked that

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

it's actually a picture that another doctor took of us and he just sent it to us in the mail... good times, good times

Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

I know this is the pot calling the kettle busy, but I would love to see a new Emily post. :)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jacob Glidewell said...

I've been gone a while too. Good to here you're still here.

Monday, June 19, 2006 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I was totally singing that song in my head when I wrote the post...almost put it in there but didn't

Yes and I also was thinking...I miss Emily's posts.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jacob Glidewell said...

Where Emily go?

Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:12:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

Perhaps she ran away with the banana vendor who thought she was homeless.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

Three months is entirely too long.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:21:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

thanks for the encouragement...

no one ever really got tired of a little encouragement

and I promise I will post, as long as I can remember my login information ;)

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I must confess... I didn't take the pictures

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 1:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home