Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Why Should My Heart Not Dance?


I may be the only single woman who actually likes Valentine's Day. The cheesy little cards and chocolate hearts. The red and pink. The syrupy love songs. I like it ALL.

I should be properly cynical today given my current situation (you know...my 'single, almost 25, with no prospects of a mate' situation). But, I just can't seem to muster up that emotion. Not, today, at least (and, believe me, I've tried). But, I fell asleep last night watching 'Sabrina' and I woke up this morning with the sun on my face (which, incidentally, is my favorite way to wake up) and I just feel...content.


I've decided to publish a passage today from one of my very favorite books,
Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis.

Yes. I've used this exact passage before in one of my very first posts, but that was eons ago, and
this passage just happens to best voice my current sentiments.

Romance or not, today my heart dances. Why should it not?


"And my struggle was this. You may well believe that I had set out sad enough; I had come on a sad errand. Now, flung at me like frolic or insolence, there came as if it were a voice--no words--but if you made it into words it would be, "Why should my heart not dance?" It's the measure of my folly that my heart almost answered "Why not?" I had to tell myself over like a lesson the infinite reasons my heart had not to dance. My heart to dance? Mine, whose love was taken from me, I, who must never look for other love, the drudge of the King, the jailer of hateful Redival, perhaps to be murdered or turned out as a beggar when my father died--for who knew what Glome would do then? And yet, it was a lesson I could hardly keep in my mind. The sight of the huge world put mad ideas into me, as if I could wander away, wander forever, see strange and beautiful things, one after the other to the world's end. The freshness and wetness all about me made me feel that I had misjudged the world; it seemed kind, and laughing, as if its heart also danced..."

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Your heart SHOULD dance! I think that is so great that you enjoy this day and are single! To me that shows that you have joy though you are not exactly where you want to be in life. And THAT is great! So dance like crazy (maybe some salsa?) !!!!

(oh and it's the 17th...I usually remember people's b-day that are in May)

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger Angela Stewart said...

What a lovely quote. I may just have to snatch that. My best friend did Till We Have Faces as her senior interpretive speech recital in college. The story is amazing.

I found your blog via the random "next blog" linky thing at the top of the page. Just wanted to tell you that as a 30-year-old single gal, I appreciated your post about Valentine's Day. The Lord has His best planned for each of us.

Thought I'd share a quote from Charles Haddon Spurgeon. I come back to this often when the word "single" sounds especially intolerable:

"Some plants die if they have too much sunshine. It may be that you are planted where you get but little; you are put there by the loving Husbandman, because only in that situation will you bring forth fruit unto perfection. Remember this: Had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there. You are placed by God in the most suitable circumstances ... Be content with such things as you have, since the Lord has ordered all things for your good. Take up your own daily cross; it is the burden best suited for your shoulder, and will prove most effective to make you perfect in every good word and work to the glory of God."

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I love me some Lewis

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:19:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

still his words...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Wow, that is a very interesting quote...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger cr said...

I love to read your posts, Emily. They make me smile, and they tend to remind me of myself, just it's from your perspective and not my own. And yet, we are such very different people. Life can be funny like that. Well, I hope you heart keeps dancing. I know life can be so fun in those moments, even if they only last for a moment.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thank you for that!

For me personally I think it is better for me to be blind, b/c then I HAVE to rely on Christ.

Friday, February 17, 2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

no, that's not the quote, I've been lazy... I need to get it and post it

Monday, February 20, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

Bread For The Journey: A Daybook Of Wisdom And Faith

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home