Monday, March 06, 2006

Distracted by Calla Lilies


Six, white Calla Lilies sit in a drinking glass on my kitchen table. A ribbon tied loosely 'round their thick stalks in a half-hearted effort to create a casually 'artistic' arrangement. They are the, oh-so-pretty, souvenir of my fourth walk down the aisle. As a bridesmaid.

I hope they survive for a while, because they are tragically beautiful. Or beautifully tragic, perhaps.

They seem to know that they're doomed to whither in the house of an 'always a bridesmaid....' who doesn't even own a proper vase. What a tragically beautiful fate for an 'oh-so-pretty' bunch of Calla Lilies.

I adore Calla Lilies. Truly. Adore. If I could dare to pick a 'most favorite' flower, I might be inclined to choose them for their exceeding sensuality and graceful, feminine curves. For some reason, the sight of a Calla Lily always brings to mind a poem by Lucille Clifton called Homage to My Hips-- which is probably a silly connection, but one that, most likely, stems (HA...'stems') from my mind's tendency to liken the curve of a Calla Lily to the curve of a woman's hip.

...there is a girl inside/she is randy as a wolf/she will not walk away/and leave these bones/to an old woman...

I didn't intend to write a homage to Calla Lilies-- or hips, for that matter--but here I am, 3.5 paragraphs in, and that's all I've done.

Perhaps, I'll go with it.

...and her lovers will harvest/honey and thyme/and the woods will be wild/with the damn wonder of it.

On second thought, I think I'll leave it at that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Calla lilies, hips and bridemaids....hmmm...I can relate on all accounts. ;)

"woods will be wild/with the damn wonder of it." LOVE that!

Some day Emily....some day...which makes me think of....

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you...
And the way you look tonight.

Lovely ... Never, ever change.
Keep that breathless charm.
Won't you please arrange it ?
'Cause I love you ... Just the way you look tonight.

(one of my favorite songs)

Some day.....

Monday, March 06, 2006 7:41:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

which way does this go-

at least it wasn't JUST your fourth time down the "aisle"

(come on Emily...)

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

"done"

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

"go"

either half empty or half full, you choose

Monday, March 06, 2006 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

yes... from Creth

um, yeah, I'm gonna say Americans because I don't think I can speak for the rest of the world, I'm not around them too much...

beards are good for scratching, and why do we scratch?

because we itch.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

there might be more... we'll see

we stroke, usually, because we are older and our health is failing...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes, yes Emily...we girls get each other. You don't buy white shorts on a whim or b/c your Great Uncle tells you too.... ;)

"Wander" nice correction

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

oh and the "itch" factor. This is why girls don't grow beards. Or I guess we can't grow beards. BUT if we could grow beards, I don't think we would...

yeah...I'm confused too..

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home