Tuesday, February 28, 2006

World Wide Web of Confusion



Fifty million registered users of MySpace, with roughly fifteen million of those being in the 'under 18' age group, and I have to wonder: What are we missing?

I have a friend that might call this the slow and painful degradation of society.

But, before I can nod my head in agreement, I must make a 'caught with my hand in the cookie jar' confession: I am one of those fifty million users. I am MySpace registered.

Of course, I can explain- my registration was merely a means to an end, a portal into the online photo albums of friends. And, I needed that entry, darnit, to answer the all important question thrown at me one day- "I met this guy on MySpace. Do you think he's cute?"

And, so, I typed in a few personal details, clicked enter, and thus joined a growing, and decidedly unexclusive, sub-culture of people who are screaming at the top of their internet lungs "Hey world, this is My Space!"

And, oh what a space it is!

It's the out-pouring of a generation (or two) of people saying "Look at me" "Hear me" "I've got something to say"

Now, I won't give in to my mind's tendency to narrow-- this is not about MySpace-- or even the hundred or so like websites. MySpace, in and of itself, is a largely innocuous enterprise (with millions of dollars in adspace sold, an affiliated record label, and an affiliated production company, MySpace is, undeniably, an enterprise)

This is about the dawn of a new era of human relationships and communication-- relationships with the foundation formed via cyberspace.

Online journals and personal pages have attracted the attention of the newest breed of 'damn-the-man, screw-the-system' young people. Young people that aren't in the streets, pumping their fists in demand of equal rights or fair trade practices, but, rather, in the privacy and solitude of their homes, bucking the societal rules of meeting, greeting and interacting with others.

Our intrinsic yearning to be heard and understood has been met with a platform on which to do so. Or, at least, a platform on which to give it a good solid try. With the elevation of that platform comes the illusion of intimacy. And, as it turns out, intimacy was what we were all clamoring for in the first place.

Too bad we've barked up the wrong tree.

Of course, this need for human connectedness is not a new phenomenon. This generation is not the first generation of emotional fornicators. In fact, when man ate of the forbidden fruit, and changed his relationship with his God, humans began their scramble for intimacy.

Fast forward to present day: We are still, very much, in 'bed' together.

And, I am not off the hook on this one, I'm as guilty as the next person, maybe even more so-- but I have to stop and question the impact that the internet's bottomless 'wealth' of personal connections has on souls that are neglecting the One connection that we so desperately need.

It all begs the question- In this online quest for intimacy generated by a 'me' centered society, who's the god of my space?

12 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Ok...I confess. I have a myspace account. But it is mainly to be able to comment on other myspace users. MOST of the people I know use it not for dating, but for blogs and/or posting their music etc. (Emily remind me sometime to share some good stories of being "hit" on...funny stuff)

I do agree with you that this just reflects the deep desire that all of us want….true intimacy.

Though to me, myspace is in the same boat as blogspot, xanga and whatever else is out there. All of those are avenues of connecting and learning about other people. It is definitely something to be aware of and be careful with.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(I know I'm posting on my own site, but...)

Jen, really, this isn't about MySpace. I promise. Xanga and Blogspot both provide the same bottom line. A platform. And, guess what, I use that platform like the other billion+ bloggers of this world.

This is about something deeper than MySpace. I just happened to choose MySpace because it's the fastest growing online community.

And, it's fun to 'say'. MySpace. my space. MY space. See?

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 7:56:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

OUT DAMN SPOT, OUT!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes Emily I figured you were just using myspace as an example... :)

oh the stories...I wish i could say it was limited to just guys...um yeah....
Actually it really doesn't happen that often.

Hey and self-posting is great. I've kind of gotten away from that which is sad. I need to return to who I TRULY am... :)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

you're like Lady Macbeth

she couldn't stand the stare of the stain of that spot, it burned (though a secret no one knew) she was tormented

(which reminds me, have you seen "Scotland, Pa."?)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:21:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

no, I'm just standing on deck, crackin' jokes to the crew

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

yes

and

yes

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

Delightful rant, Ms. Merritt. :) And, I can totally relate--my post today touched on the human intimacy issue as well.

By the way, sorry I've been MIA recently on your blog and everyone else's (including my own!). A few weeks of craziness have been drowning me, but thankfully my head's above water now!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

yeah, I transcribed it last night...

you know, sleep is a funny thing- for those who cannot dream, it is like being brain dead

thanks

I don't know where everyone has gone but... they're going t o b e m i s s e d

Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I dream in color.

what's the matt'r with that?

Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

yes, I totally agree... if that kid ever said that line in a public place, or a private place that wasn't a safe haven for drama "people" ...he would get his ass kicked. but he knows his audience. smart kid.

I do not remember that title....

Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger cr said...

Emily, I love this. Not necessarily because I agree with you, but because you presented your point and checked yourself in all of your point making. You write so well. Truly you do. I think you could write about crying at a tree, and I would enjoy the reading of it.

Are you sure that your ticket to NY lies within nursing? I don't mean to say you're in the wrong field. I think your connection with the wee ones is a great one. But you are so creative as well. Perhaps a part of your soul has yet to express itself fully.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home