Friday, February 10, 2006

One Singular Sensation

Every Little Step She Takes


I got a phone call today from an old friend. She sounded happy and wanted to meet for lunch this week. Monica is one of my oldest friends. We met in the sixth grade after we'd both transferred to our small private academy from large public schools. We forged an instant friendship in the foreign world of prepubescent hormones and rampant emotions. She was allowed to shave her legs before I, and she kissed a boy during recess before I and she was cool- at least in my eyes.

We've drifted in and out of each others life over the years, but she is forever floating somewhere in my orbit, and I, in hers.

I watched her marry the man of her every dream about two years ago. She was radiant, as always, and I spent the night smiling and dancing and saying appropriate wedding-y things. And, tonight, I listened to her tell me about the very near arrival of her first son, which certainly explained the near giddiness I detected in her voice. A baby boy. A baby boy for my oldest friend.

I've had many similar conversations with old friends lately about pending weddings and new babies. And, I've received two phone calls this week, alone, from a friend that I haven't spoken to in six months. I'm almost certain she is going to tell me that she, too, is expecting her first child.

Weddings are great. New babies are incredible. I happen to like both, very much. And, I truly feel delighted when a friend joins the ranks of the wives and mothers. Both are titles that I feel very intrigued by, although, entirely separated from.


I'm afraid that I have landed smack-dab in the middle of singledom. And, it's a wonderful place to be at times. I certainly have no other mouth to feed but my own. I have no extra laundry to fold, or beds to make. It's just me, in an appropriately small abode, with neither animal nor plant life to tend to (my one fish and one house plant have both died in the last two weeks)


But, the thing about this place called Singledom is that everything feels temporary-- life is a constant transition. Next week I might, very well, be hanging out with people I barely know and the week after that I may be referring to them as my friends.


Everything is subject to change.


The question that I've been asking myself this week is (yes, this sounds completely disingenuous, but bear with me): What's it all about? What am I supposed to be accomplishing in my single life? Surely, God has more for me than Starbucks on Thursdays, and weekends packed with activity.

As a married lady, I would have a clearly defined role. As a mother, I would have a clearly defined role.


What's the role of a single, twenty-something, woman?


I have time. Much more time than my married friends. And, I surely have more time than my friends with babies. I have time that I seem to fill with copious amounts of activity, but how much of that activity is in service of others? If I'm honest, I'd admit that it's not nearly enough.


Maybe the role of the single woman is to be a servant. Maybe the call is to serve others in preparation for life's next role as a servant to a spouse and family.


And maybe, just maybe, if I redirected my purpose towards the service of others, single life wouldn't feel so...singular

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Ahhhhh Emily. I can totally identify where you are coming from. Most of my close friends are married and are now starting to have children.

I will pass on some encouragement, a good friend of mine (who is several years older, married and has 3 children), has given to me. Take advantage of your single years and your “freedom” to serve the Lord in the ways He wants you too. Though marriage and motherhood are wonderful (and I personally am a little impatient to get there) they take a lot of your time and your time is not all “yours” anymore. Of course this does not mean you should fill your nights and days with tons of activities, even church activities, just to fill the void, but truly be available to serve God in the things He brings across your path.

Like you, I like to keep busy. The fine balance is not to fill up my calendar with “things to do” just to fill the empty void or to keep me busy enough not to have to deal with myself and how I feel about being alone. I am learning that. I am also learning that, by serving others and the Lord, it gets the focus off of me and my self-pity. My spiritual gift is serving, so serving others is right up my alley. I don’t know what yours is (I am guessing serving too?), but I encourage you to serve the Lord in the ways He has gifted you. There have been so many times when I have wanted to have a self-pity party and then I instead decided to focus on others and it was amazing the joy I received from that. (for the record it doesn’t sound like you are having a self-pity party)

Also take advantage of this time to build your relationship with Jesus. Just recently I have been learning how to fall more in love with Him deeply. I am a doer by nature....I am totally a Martha not a Mary (yeah I probably would have said the same thing Martha did in the Bible), but I am learning how to have Mary’s heart, which means I am learning how to sit before His feet and worship Him.

Thanks so much for your post. It really encouraged me and caused me to rethink “what am I doing?” I will say this....I think you will make a great wife and mother.

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

oh and your title makes me want to sing and kick (like the Rockettes) to the beat...

:)

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I'm not sure if she writes the music and lyrics, but I do know that she is credited for most of it (she at least has some part in the creation...)

check out the video, it helped her out (won an award) and was one of Michel Gondry's first (director of Human Nature)

(yes, that's sort of ironic)

(maybe ironic isn't the correct term...)

http://bjork.com/videogallery/

it's the first video, so it's at the bottom of the page

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

THERE IT IS!!! You wrote! And a very connected blog indeed. When you write from where you are at, when anyone writes from where they are at, it is powerful.

That is good that you question your purpose and "doing." To stop. To listen. To think. These activities seldom occur in our lives, but to intentionally do them is helpful.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

"brilliant"

Monday, February 13, 2006 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Happy (ok for some reason I was going to put birthday...HELLO, wake up Jen, plus your birthday is in May right? Mine too! Such a good month!)...

Happy, happy Valentine's Day!!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Toph said...

Hi Stranger--

It's been too long since I've read anyone's blog but had some time today before class.

This is a wonderful piece, thanks for sharing where you are. Great new perspective for me...

Monday, February 20, 2006 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home