Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Roots of Twenty-Four


I am rich with the history of my forefathers
their blood is my blood
their pain, sorrow, joy
mine

I am the compounded noise of a raging past
water thick and heavy
with sweat from their toil

I live in the bosom of yesterday
tucked within a mind that says never
but a body that says why not

I come here to seek truth
and in truth find freedom

But, when I breathe, it's with the breath of a thousand years

found in the heartbeat of just twenty-four

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Love the picture and poem...beautiful...

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

"I live in the bosom of yesterday/tucked within a mind that says never/but a body that says why not"

That's my favorite part. From a literary standpoint, I love it, because it plays off the 24 yr. vs. 1000 yr. dichotomy; not only is there that seemingly timeless identity struggle, there's another identity struggle rooted in the present--the mind vs. body struggle.

But, aside from the literary stuff, it's just a fine piece of expression. And, I agree with Jen; the combo of the photo & poem is really great. You know, being able to marry visual art and written art isn't a common gift. Maybe you should combine all of your gifts and talents into a poetry/photography book whose proceeds go to help children who struggle with illness. Or something. ;)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home