Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Family Quilt



sepia-colored memories
laced with the hint of something more
I am my mother's third daughter
my father's baby girl

recollections are fuzzy
softly altered by the stretch of many years
lined in a mind that knows
some truths hide behind old ideas

I know there's a place for me
threaded behind two sisters
before one brother

my patch on this quilt
is woven delicately between generations of me
present, past and beyond

and when I'm gone, my thread will remain
as a faded promise to my sons and daughters
that on this quilt they will belong

as first and forever
I belonged

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

My Grandma makes quilts and showed me last year the one I get when she is gone. I love to wrap up in quilts, especially in the winter. What a beautiful picture Emily...

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

(great post by the way)

yes, apparently I really missed out yesterday...

Monday, March 20, 2006 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

new indeed, but I think it works, after all I do love these guys

Monday, March 20, 2006 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Ok so the funny thing is that I have ALWAYS wanted to have a punching bag in my place for those very moments...well and also I thought it would be a fun way to excercise as well.

Yes the day so far is much better....thank you!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

wow....another wedding...fun! But hey I got 3 years on ya...you are WAY ahead of me...just think when your my age you will have been in like 10! :)

oh yeah and I am probably like your roommate...I like to act all tough and "mad at the world" but I am really just a softy :)

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home