Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mental Paper Jams, New York City and How Hemingway Would Have Dealt


Here I am again. In front of this computer. Awash in a familiar blue glow. Fingers poised for action.

And nothing.

Not an essay, not a paragraph, not even a sentence to translate the lightening bolts of thought I having zinging 'round my brain. Somewhere a synapse fired and missed, and now I have a paper jam, of sorts, in the part of my brain that commands my hands to pen my story.

And, oh! What a story it is! If only...

If only I could

Wiggle.

It.

Free.


I heard a writer say once that the cure for writer's block is to persuade your pen to keep on moving. Unfortunately, my pen is as stubborn as I, and my pen refuses to move. Besides, darnit, I never was very persuasive.

Hemingway said that the key to writing is to always start with one true sentence.

one true sentence one true sentence one true sentence

Okay...Here's one true sentence: I woke up today with the words to 'New York State of Mind' turning, broken record-style, through my, already congested, brain. I have got to take Billy Joel off my turntable. And, quickly! Before I am utterly consumed by my romantic notions of taking a greyhound on the Hudson River line.

I swear, I yearn everytime Billy sings the line 'I know what I'’m needing and I don't want to waste more time. I'm in a New York state of mind.'

I yearn, yes, and then my world turns black and white, and all of the sudden I am overcome with visions of Holly Golightly sitting on her window perch singing 'Moonriver' and looking positively pretty. Holly, too, was in a New York state of mind. And, most likely, she- like me- pined away for New York City winters.

(And, New York City springs, summers and falls, for that matter.)

But, I doubt that Holly would have wasted her time checking--(FOUR times in ONE day)-- for the addition of her name to the website for New York licensed nurses.

Yes. That is what I have done. Today. In case you're wondering.

In September I applied for a nursing license in New York. That was four excruciating months ago. And for four months I have listened to Billy Joel sing about New York City. For four months I've imagined that I could be Holly Golightly sitting in my New York City window. And, for four months I have checked for the addition of my name to the database of New York nurses.

But, the only name that Merritt coma Emily returns to me is a Ms. Emily G. Merritt, RN of New York, New York.

That's not me, I'm quite certain. But, I'm always left with the same nagging question: Who is Emily G. Merritt?

I like to imagine that she lives in the Lower East Side. She rents a lovely studio apartment with a view of the neighboring brick wall. She takes long walks in Little Italy and always stops for cannoli at Sal's. She collects found pennies, and 1940s pill-box hats. When she's feeling melancholy, she spends the afternoon alone, watching foreign films at the old theatre down the block. She goes to the Guggenheim on rainy Tuesdays, and the flea market on sunny Fridays. She takes the F train to work, but always walks the 9 blocks home. She thinks about a boy she once knew that smelled like off-brand fabric softener. When she misses him most, she sits at the laundry mat and reads Anais Nin novels.

But, that's her story. Not mine. I'm Emily A. Merritt, and my story is slightly different. But, my story is currently stuck behind one heckofa mental paper jam.

And, for cryin' out loud, I just can't seem to...

Wiggle.

It.

Free
.

Perhaps I'll give up for now and head to the laundry mat.

(Now if I could just find my copy of 'Henry and June'...)

33 Comments:

Blogger Jason Mayes said...

HEY! You posted! I was wondering when we would hear from you again! Keep on dreaming about New York and wait. I am thinking of running the NYC marathon in Nov. so I was thinking of planning a trip for the group to go on. If you are living there at that time, then we can visit you! Keep up the stellar writing...

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:06:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well if that is writer’s block, then I want writer’s block. Though you may not have been able to write what is really on your heart, it was very nice to get a peak into your other thoughts, your imaginations and dreams. Ahhh…New York…I have been there once and LOVED it and would love to visit again! I loved Broadway, Time Square, Central Park, walking with mobs and mobs of people around you.....*sigh* Though the song I think of is ‘New York’ sung by Frank Sinatra (btw one of my favorite singers!). So Emily, don’t give up, keep it before the Lord…and this song is for you.


I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York.
(well it’s techinically up to the NY Nurse License Place, minor detail)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes Emily...that would be so much fun!!

Actually NYC from Indy about 10 hours if you drive, but I would probably prefer to fly. :)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

(what Jason really means- if you are living in NYC when we all come up there for the marathon, could we stay with you? also, how dependable is your alarm clock?)

Jen, you like Sinatra? I have a version of "Fly Me to the Moon" that is just the best! I can't remember which album it is on... Emily might have it at her place or I think I actually left it at my dad's... it's a crazy huge live album with three records...

anyway, Emily, I hope you get to be where you will in the coming months. that'll be a great place

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger cr said...

Emily, your prose does flow so magnificently. Whether paper jammed or not, your mind seems to be a beautiful place, even if it is desperately longing for something more - or least something else.

It is exciting to hear you speak so fervently of your hopes to get to NY. How wonderful it must be to have such a powerful dream in your head! And, though I know it must be equally daunting to have that dream in your mind and not yet see it come to fruition, I hope you will realize how amazing and special it is to have that kind of tangible hope before you.

I do not doubt that you will leave your mark wherever your path takes you, Emily A. Merritt.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I'll try to remember to pick it up next time I am at my dad's place

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Jacob Glidewell said...

New York...humm. Try reading something else to get the paper un jammed. You do know that you can only have jam every other day, right? So you cannot be jammed today. You could be jammed yesterday or maybe tomorrow, but not today, never today. Read some Poe, Elliot or Carroll. Their stuff is guarenteed to get anything unstuck...especially sanity.

Monday, January 23, 2006 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

right there with you emily, right there with you...

restless....*sigh*

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

okay... so you both got me thinking (Jen & Emily)

"restless"

the movie Chumscrubber...
C.S. Lewis often speaks of it...
and I always sorta believed that-

this present life is very much like a night's sleep

(I would continue and expound because I have been so very interested in this thought but I have to finish some insurance CRAP and then run to a doctor's appointment...)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:11:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

we are restless for that waking moment, which ironically will be the moment at which time ceases and our physical life will end leaving only our spiritual life to continue into eternity

now, in time our spiritual life struggles and is restless as our physical life lives in this sleep

focus is so hard to attain during sleep, there is always misunderstanding around the corner

(maybe a pause or a break)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

yes

I believe that we will continually exist in a restless state until this life is over, that is the struggle between flesh and spirit

as for my comment about "focus" I was trying to ...comment... on what I often times realize to be a lack of clarity in this world, a lack of clarity in my life

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I believe I understand what you're (Jen) saying and I truly agree

at the end of time I think that we will understand what He means when He says that "all things work for the good..."

right now, it's a restless struggle for us to understand

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I tend to agree with Creth on this one.

I think that our time on earth is marked with an under-current of restlessness. Not that we can't experience peace and joy and contentment (at times)-- but, under it all, lies a measure of restlessness.

Until we are with Christ in eternity, we're not where we were 'created' to be. Ya know? Does that make sense?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:34:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I think you make sense...

and any sort of clarification at this point will not change the final outcome

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yes yes Emily....isn't it confusing??? I totally agree. But I am not the one with the problem of responding on the same blog ;)

Yes it does make sense....I guess I see different "degrees" or "types" of restlessness. But yes...there is a restlessness that is always present

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

hold on...

I haven't asked either of you to "play by my rules"

you have both, on your own, found your way to "The way"

and though it may seem... difficult right now, that is only a growing pain for your better self

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You are right Creth...usually you do "comply" with those of us who have not found "the way"

but we are very happy in the other path that we have chosen. :)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(This just FEELS weird. It'll definitely take some getting used to...)

My first instinct was to respond to Creth's comment on HIS blog...but then...yep...it passed.

The Way?

Really?

THE way?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Come....Emily....come...to the "other" side....it is so freeing and so less confusing...

"The Way" isn't that a cult? Yes...it is a cult or use to be a cult...knew a guy that was saved from it.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

you people

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HA, Jen.

Yes. 'The way' definitely ends with mass kool-aid drinking.

AND

'you people'

ouch.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

"mass kool-aid drinking" hahahahaha

Creth's just jealous.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

*gulp-gulp*

sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear what you guys were talking-

*plunk*

*thud*

(last words)

give Jason my cd's...

*gasp*
Emily, you can keep my records...

*sigh*
Amy can have my ear for music... my left ear

David, take the Tahoe... I know it isn't new, but what is these days?

*sigh*
split my personality between Christian & Jen...

and give all of my movies to...

to...

Martin...

Jason's movie watching Asian friend...

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

*GASP*

GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!

YOU WERE NOT MY HOME, JUST WHERE I LIVED!

(that would make you my house.)

(my house is named earth.)

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

ah... it took me a little longer than I would have liked to realize that you were referencing- Sybil, the name of a 1973 book and 1976 movie about multiple personality disorder.

well played

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

the place that I most frequently inhabit is "Victory" my house is EARTH

think about it.

I know 1973 better than 1976, is that useless?

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

why? because "Creth's IS"

:-D.

Friday, January 27, 2006 2:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

come on up!

You can stay with me and meet the rest of the clan.

Ooooooooo....I do like the "road trip" to Cuba. I am really itching to get out of the country...

Monday, January 30, 2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger cr said...

Maybe Jen should just get out of the state...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

All I can say is WOW Emily. I am not in your league. Do you have to budget for tickets??? :)

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:34:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

a ticket budget...

what you NEED to do is become a cop

Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

Ah, I remember writers block. I use to suffer from it too. Today I try to write two articles a month and a poem a week. I also have set aside "writing time", I blog every night. I also don't take criticism to heart. Just because someone does not like something that I've written, doesn't mean that it is bad. I find that writing exercises have been a tremendous help. One can overcome writers block and it looks like you have. Keep writing!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home