Sunday, October 01, 2006

You are confident, creative and capable. Prove it.

So, I promised I would keep this blog updated, didn't I?

Well, tonight marks my first night off since Wednesday. And, I am.....exhausted.

whew.

I didn't fully prepare myself for the challenging clinical aspect of this trip. I acknowledged that it would be difficult to leave my family and my social circle. I understood that I woud miss a few parties and social events. I assumed that it would not be easy to find my way around a new city. I never expected this trip to be a breeze. However, it never occurred to me that the most challenging task in this adventure would be my job. I mean, I came here to work as a NICU nurse. I do that every week, after all. How hard could that be?

WHEW.

The answer? Pretty dang hard.

I feel like this week has stretched me as a nurse. I feel like this week has attempted to kick my cocky, nurse butt. I feel like this week has owned me. Hardcore.

I was told that I would be following a nurse for three, 12-hour shifts. You know...so I could orient to the unit, paperwork, computer systems, equipment, policies, procedures, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I came in my second night and was told that I would be working independently.

Yikes.

I spent the next 12 hours trying not to drown.

Suddenly, everyday tasks seemed monumentally more challenging. I felt like a very inquisitive preschooler: Where do you keep the feeding tubes? What's the password to the PYXIS? How often do you chart pain assessments? What is a Nutra A? Am I really supposed to discard all residuals? Why is this pump telling me to back prime? Why do people keep asking me if I need help from a TL? What is a TL?

And, on it continued for 12 hours.

I left feeling overwhelmed and under-oriented.

The next shift, I felt ready to tackle the beast once more. However, much to my dismay, I was told that I had been floated to a Pediatric floor. After 4 hours of "orientation" (seriously, these people need to find a new word for what they call "orientation"), 4 Peds patients, ranging in ages from 2 mos to 16 years, were under my sole care.

5 hours into my shift, I was administering an enema to a 3 year old boy (who clutched my hand and said "Em-a-wee, I'm scared"), and seriously thinking that I had made a huge mistake.

After that third night, I felt sure that I was ready to return to the comfort and routine of my Dallas hospital. But, then, suddenly-- about six hours into my fourth shift, I started to hit what appeared to be the beginnings of my stride. Could it be I was catching on?!

"You are confident, creative and capable". Maybe, I will prove it, after all.

What a week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

It is so nice to have you back in the blogging world.

Whew...that post wore me out. But it sounds like you are hitting your stride.

You can do this Emily!!

(can't wait to read and "see" about your side trip today)

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home