Thursday, October 26, 2006

From San Fran to San Diego


So, I haven't been so great about keeping this site updated, have I? Well, much has happened since we last "spoke". I will try and hit the highlights...

Sunny Cal has a lot to offer. The more I explore, the more I "get it". I think I may be falling in serious like (if not love) with this west coast state. I hate to drone on about all the great little quirks of my newest crush, but, for real...this place is golden.

(cue opening scenes from Full House)

"Whatever happened to predictability? The milkman, the paperboy...and evening TV?"

Last week I had the opportunity to visit San Francisco for a couple days. Joseph has been traveling to Cal for business this month, and I happened to have a couple days off during the week. So, I hopped a big jet liner and traveled north. What a great city San Francisco is! There is so much to do, the weather is remarkable and the people are incredibly friendly (to which Joseph pointed out...they live in a great city, what could they possibly be mad about?).



My visit to the bay area was of the "whirlwind" nature (as have all my excursions been lately...). I arrived in Oakland on a Wednesday evening, where Joseph met me for the train ride to San Francisco. We spent the evening walkin' and gawkin' and enjoyin' a city that was new to us both. We ate fish on the Wharf and watched the Sea Lions (or otters? or seals? I still don't know the difference...) lounge on the docks. What an odd animal!

The next day I was on my own. Both my mother and Joseph gave me detailed instructions on trains to take and places to visit and...yadda, yadda, yadda...I still got lost.

I ended up in the Haight-Ashbury district, though, and was quite pleased. The people watching was phenomenal. I grabbed the Haight-Ashbury Beat and read it in a coffee shop over a warm cup of tea (tea unites a multitude of sub-cultures, I've found). In "The Beat", I learned all about medicinal cannabis and police brutality and homeless sweeps. Oh my!


Later that afternoon, Joseph joined me and we spent the evening riding the trolley, eating chocolate, exploring Chinatown and having a blast.
We both agreed that San Francisco is a great city, indeed.







Yesterday, I arrived home from a two day trip to San Diego. I went with a coworker (Kathy, from Louisiana) and we had a great time. San Diego is another gem of a city. It's a tropical paradise with much to do. We went to the world-famous San Diego Zoo AND SeaWorld. I was giddy as a child at both.




Oh, California, thanks for having such great cities for me to explore!

4 Comments:

Blogger Trey said...

I love San Francisco AND San Diego! I'm so terribly jealous.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yea you posted!

I have to echo Trey....I am very jealous. Ahhh...Cali....what a great state! I have only been to L.A. and surrounding areas but loved the weather and the fact you had both the ocean and mountains close. Looks like you are enjoying it.....

Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Trey said...

Of course I loved the 90's reference! I also appreciate the photo of the Victorian rowhouses, which helped me re-visualize the intro sequence. When I went to SF (which was this year, btw), I was shocked that that's really the only kind of residential architecture that there is within the city.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Fan-freaking-tastic. Keep up the exploration...

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home