Monday, October 02, 2006

"All I wanna do is have some fun...

...until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard"


I spent the day in beautiful Santa Monica, California today. Santa Monica is about a 15 minute drive from me, but I decided to take the scenic route (purposely, in case you're wondering!), making it a 45 minute drive. The scenic route-- along Pacific Coast Highway-- turned out to be a great choice.

I'll be honest, Carson and Long Beach are not the best representations of LA county. At all. But, driving along PCH (not "The PCH", as I am erroneously wont to call it), provided me with a much deeper appreciation of the area. The drive was gorgeous.

Amy discovered, in her research for our roadtrip here, that travelers commonly take 3 to 4 days to travel down PCH from San Fran to LA. Now, I understand why. The view just about begs for a casual, windows-down, music up, meander.

Once in Santa Monica, I headed for an area known as the Third Street Promenade-- which is several blocks of boutiques, bookstores, shops and restaurants. I had a most wonderful time window shopping and people watching. And, I was very surprised at the amount of activity happening on a Monday. Don't people in California work?!

The day was, in a word, fantastic. I had a long and leisurely lunch alfresco (is there any other way to dine in Cali?). I walked along the beach. And, as the afternoon drew to an end, I took in a film at a small, art house theatre called laemmle (sorta, kinda, almost like La Emily...).

As I left town, the sun was setting picturesquely over the Pacific.

A perfect Santa Monica day, indeed...

5 Comments:

Blogger Trey said...

There was much jealousy-making in your post. That's a crazy good time.

What film did you go see in your sorta-kinda namesake theatre?

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

Oh, and thanks for your comment. Yes, all Mississippians are great writers. Many of us, though, choose to keep all the great writing a secret...leaving us nothing but same ol' average writing that folks from other States write.

Perhaps you should move to Mississippi, or at least come to visit. I'm sure we could arrange for you to take a peek at the treasure trove of writing. ;)

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger cr said...

I didn't know you were a hedonist, Emily. That's too bad. Ha.

Those photos look amazing. Your skills as a photographer even outdo those of my high school photographer lady that I mentioned before. And the fact that you don't say, "Wan, too, tharaaaay," has to also bode well for your talents over hers. But dear Mrs. B was quite a fun lady herself. In fact, in the older version of the game Clue, Mrs. Peacock was actually modeled off of her. It is amazing how similar they look. And now you know more than you'd care to about my high school photographer lady.

Sorry the phone calls didn't work out the other day. I'm about to get on the road, headed to Oxford, MS. We will be enjoying homecoming weekend there. And I will finally get to stay at my parents' new place. Very exciting.

Thursday, October 05, 2006 7:03:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Beautiful photos. I love Santa Monica...such a lovely place. Did you pass through a town called Hermosa Beach? That where good friends of mine use to live.

Thursday, October 05, 2006 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger amy said...

(thanks for the props, honey)

What an amazing time - Trey said it best with the "much jealousy-making in your post". I want to come back and play some more...

MISS YOU!!!

Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home