Friday, January 19, 2007

Adventures of Bus Girl

So, I arrived in not-so-sunny-Cal early Monday morning. The temperature when I landed was 37 degrees. A mere 4 degrees higher than when I left Texas. Now, I know I shouldn't complain about the weather in California to people dealing with snow, ice, sleet and cold cold mess...but, well...it's COLD here! I mean, really!

In other news, I now ride the public bus. Daily. Twice daily, really. It's been kinda great, I must admit. My first taste of the public bus has gone something like this:

Day One: Arrive at my bus stop. Wait 45 minutes in the cold. No bus. Realize I'm on the verge of being late to work. Call a cab. Pay ten dollars for the 4 mile ride. Feel bummed.

Day Two: Realize Day One was MLK day. Realize the 102 doesn't run on MLK day. Decide to give it another go. Wait at the bus stop for several minutes. Realize I'm waiting in the Westbound stop, when I need to go Eastbound. Begin making my way to the correct bus stop. See the 102 pass the correct bus stop while I'm still waiting to cross the street. Feel bummed. Go into McDonalds to have a coffee and wait for the next bus. Watch the (early!) 102 zoom past the McDonalds AND the bus stop. Without me. Feel bummed. Throw my coffee away and head to the bus stop. Wait 35 mins in the cold. Finally board the correct bus. Feel triumphant.

Day Three: Get on the correct bus. Make it to work. Feel like a bus riding PRO.

Day Four: Take the bus to the mall. Finish a book during the ride. Shop. See a picture show. Ride the bus home. Feel like the bus is the greatest thing EVER.

So, as you can see I'm back in California and having a good time. Work is work, but it's been nice to have it. A few of my old friends are still here, so it's been good catching up with everyone. And, I realized that I did sorta miss the craziness of this hospital while I was in Dallas. Just a little, anyway.

Okay, I've gotta go now. I'm sure I have a bus to catch, or something...

2 Comments:

Blogger Trey said...

Emily Merritt, Public Transit Aficionado! Well done, soldier!

The few times I rode the bus in Houston, it was equally perplexing. Each time, I found myself being thankful I didn't have to rely on the bus all the time. ;) Have funny in the land that used to be warm!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow Emily...can you teach me your bus riding ways when you get home? :)

And it has still been cold here. And I have not stopped complaining. :)

Miss ya!!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home