Sunday, November 27, 2005

I'll Find You Near the Honeysuckle Bush

I remembered you then. When the smell of honeysuckle swept past me in a breeze, I remembered you. I saw you again, standing near a honeysuckle bush, tasting the sweet juice in it's delicate bloom. You stood there, wrapped in sunlight and joy. Little girl, I saw you.

"Remember me", you seemed to say with your soft brown eyes. "When you're older, remember me- remember this moment". And now, that same moment is lost somewhere in the tangles of a nighttime dream- in the breeze of a daytime memory. Little girl, I lost you for awhile.

There are moments when I remember you, though. You and your effortless faith- your effortless love- your effortless joy. And, I miss you then- in those moments. The smell of honeysuckle makes me miss you. Little girl, I miss you now.

Now, I have fears. Your fears were small and always gone as quickly as lightening dissolves in the night. But, my fears are big. You were braver than I am. I didn't know it then, but you were brave. I get lost sometimes in my fears. I get scared in the night and wake up with a thousand tears. I cry much more than you ever did. Little girl, you were brave.

I see you again, standing near the honeysuckle bush, and I ache for you. I ache for your effortless faith that eventually lost it's ease when the storms didn't dissolve so quickly in the night. I ache for your effortless love that tarnished with too many broken hearts. I ache for your effortless joy that became more difficult when the world found you and staked their claim on your dreams. Little girl, I ache for you.

I remember you now. I remember who you were, and I miss you- I'll always miss you when the smell of honeysuckle finds me in a breeze.

But, Little girl, I make you this promise: I'll forever keep your memory safe near the honeysuckle bush.

Because, Little girl, I was you.

21 Comments:

Blogger Snowbear said...

This is a nice piece; can almost smell the sweetness in the air...

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

ha. I spelled something incorrectly... how embarrassing

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

have you read it yet?

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

do you not receive the deleted comments?

have you read the "Four Loves" yet?

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

check it out, another thought echoed by Ed and maybe originally brought to my attention by Nouwen

Monday, November 28, 2005 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger amy said...

...and you still are the little girl deep down inside. That's what keeps us genuine, from being completely tarnished by the trials of the world.

I, too, enjoyed the honeysuckle nectar when I was small. There are still times that I walk by a honeysuckle bush and can't help but pick a flower and taste the nectar.

Monday, November 28, 2005 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

at this point it's a big "nevermind"

Monday, November 28, 2005 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I will comment that my neighbors growing up, the Monico's, had a wonderfully large Honeysuckle Bush in their backyard that I would always visit... great memories

Monday, November 28, 2005 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger cr said...

Wow. I read this and just wanted to curl up in a blanket, eat Cream of Wheat and watch a movie. Perhaps The Neverending Story (#1 -the others were...not so good).

You really do have a lovely pen, or digits (fingers), as it were, Emily. You've taken a simple thought - that of remembering who we were as children - and made it into beautiful prose. Perhaps someday you will write about your fears so others who have similar ones will not feel so afraid.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

Neverending Story (Part One)

can we please watch that sometime?

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Will there be cream of wheat?

I love cream of wheat.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I too love Cream of Wheat, but I think I remember a few people talking about some crazy ways to enjoy it... I just added a little sugar and maybe, maybe some cinnamon

thought I remember watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory while eating Cream of Wheat with my babysitter... so funny, a babysitter when you have two older siblings... but they were at school and I was sick... what a memory, very vivid

thanks!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

not "thought" rather "though"

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I haven't the time to find out what language that word originates from...

Monday, December 05, 2005 2:24:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

ohhh... well I should have picked up on it because it is practically a cognate

um, sorry, didn't know I was being impatient...

I guess you can blame it on the roast beef

Monday, December 05, 2005 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I was dying to know who anonymous was... and all along it was you

(word verification: "owl")

which reminds me, my neighbor came home late Saturday night and told me the greatest story about seeing a "young" owl in a tree over McKinney... she was sooooo excited, it was very cute

I was jealous and figured you could appreciate a nature story

Monday, December 05, 2005 2:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, I've been listening to Wilco for a few months now... I guess it has been a while since you've gone for a ride in my car

and I do like that ONE Ryan Adams song...

Monday, December 05, 2005 2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

haven't I always had the same profile?

I mean, sure when I was young and growing it might have changed a little but since I've finished growing I believe that I have had the same profile for some years now...

Monday, December 05, 2005 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

seriously, that's not funny

Monday, December 05, 2005 3:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home