Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The End of the Line

yesterday was the beginning

today could be the end

making

wishes

on

stars

and found pennies

and sometimes the color red

dreams collected in mason jars

next to glass marbles and buttons

and shiny toys that kids lost in the sand

how many days have since past?

how many suns have set?

since the very first day

that I remembered

my life

was

just

a moon

away

I tried to write it all down

on a brand new spiraled book

I dotted my I’s and crossed the T’s

and lined up the words in perfect rows

but again, once again, I forgot to remember

that punctuation was meant for the end of the line

and now sentences start with points of exclamation

but end with words trailing off into space

and all I'm left with is

wishes

on

stars

1 Comments:

Blogger Creth said...

okay, okay, okay... so I can't read this post without thinking of a quote from "A River Runs Through It"

...Brad Pitt's character is regaling his family with a story about an "interview" he had recently for the paper (he was a writer...)

(or as I've been most recently told, a "journalist")

the subject of his interview was none other than President Calvin Coolidge, who was fishing at the time, and Pitt says, "what are you fishin' with?" to which President Coolidge replied, "the end of the line!"

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home