Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Peaceful, Easy Feeling

Sometimes I have this overwhelming desire to sleep outside, under the open sky. Tonight is one of those nights. A breathtaking night- cool with a slight breeze. And, although I can't see the stars in the bright lights of the city, I know there must be a zillion of them hovering high above me. It reminds me of a line from an Eagles song "I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight, with a billion stars all around..."

There are times when I really miss having a regular audience with the stars. Stars make me feel connected to something vast- something so much vaster than I will ever know.

I was sitting on my porch earlier tonight , imagining that I could see the stars, and I had this really vivid memory of being a child at The Grand Canyon. I remember sitting under the stars on, what seemed to be at the time, the very edge of the earth-- and, thinking that the possibility of something extraordinary happening was very real. And, I have to admit that tonight, sitting on my porch, under my imagined stars-- I got that very same feeling again. The possibility of extraordinary does exist. And, the reality of extraordinary is everywhere.

Maybe it's like love- when we stop and look, we realize that it's all around us--it always was.

I guess what I'm saying is that tonight I feel extraordinary. Extraordinary, like a 10 year old girl on the edge of The Grand Canyon. Extraordinary, like a 24 year old girl who has yet to taste the best of what's to come...

5 Comments:

Blogger cr said...

Nicely said, Emily. I remember feeling a very similar thing when I first saw the Grand Canyon as a child. There are so many extraordinary things in and around this world. Thanks for reminding me to stop for a moment and take them in and remember my Lord.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

maybe the view is different in "uptown" compared to that of the "oc" but I thought the sky was WONDERFUL last night... the were maybe three clouds, at most four and you could see EVERYTHING. the entire sky was revealed. it was beautiful. the moon was beautiful, as it usually is against such a large backdrop

I love that you see great things in God's creation

Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:31:00 AM  
Blogger Zebrasbark said...

right with you sister!
nothing in the world (except sailing on the ocean) makes me feel more connected to the One who loves me the most in the entire universe!

whenever I get scared about something or feel overwhelmed by the task at hand - i tell myself, almost like a mantra : "He made the stars, He made the stars...He can deal with this too."

the southern skies and the sense of breathing clean night air is the single part of my continent that I miss the most...being outside by myself at night in the wild is ironically the time when I feel the safest and most at home with God.

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Thanks for making me look up....instead of down.

Friday, October 21, 2005 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger amy said...

do you remember the stars in West Texas? were you there long enough to remember them?

Last week I was driving home and was inspired by the massive amount of 'sky' of which I was partaking. It was incredible and I was astounded that just by opening my eyes to perfect beauty, I was able to have a very blessed moment with my Savior.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 2:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home