Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.

My apartment gets very quiet at night. Too quiet. At times, like now, I lie in bed- surrounded by darkness- and listen for life on the other side of these thin walls.

Wind. Some nocturnal creature. A distant ambulance.

I swear I can hear my heart beating. Puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum...

Rustled leaves. Footsteps?

Puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum...

I pray for sleep to save me from this resounding silence. But, I fear insomnia has decided to settle in for the night. It always settles in on nights like this. Nights that are quiet. Dark and moonless. Seemingly endless.

Sometimes- right now, actually- I long for the comfort of another’s deep breathing. To hear another heart beating. But, it’s just the one heart I hear. Steady in it’s rhythm, but uncertain in everything else.

Puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum...

What if everything were different? What if I weren't so familar with the sound of darkness?

Puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum, puh-dum...

Man, I wish the sun would rise, so I could find sleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Creth said...

I hear want and desire.

something I think I hadn't really heard from you before.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:56:00 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I hear the longing for company - a God-given desire for companionship and sharing. Whether it be romantic or non, I feel ya b/c I've got the same desires. Even though we're never alone, it's always nice just to have a little 'skin' sometimes, eh?

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Toph said...

Silence is usually more deafening than the normal roar of life.

Perhaps, that's why we fill our days with so much stuff...hoping to drown out the incessant silence that forces us to examine ourselves, our thoughts...

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home