Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Computers: Friend or Foe?


I've been sans computer for two weeks now, and it's revealed something about me that is kind of frightening: I'm computer dependent. I'm eDependent, if you will. As I sit here, in the midst of two IM conversations, penning an email, and writing this entry- I have to wonder: Do I need a 12-step program?

I have to admit, when I took my computer in for repairs, I wasn't aware of the extent of my computer dependency. Yes, I knew that I would miss certain things about having a computer in my home. I knew I would miss my word-of-the-day email, for instance. But, to be honest, I still hadn't managed to incorporate parsimonious into everyday conversation. Maybe I could use a word-of-the-day break. So, I resigned myself to checking my email less often, letting a few blogs go unread, and giving parsimonious some more thought. How bad could it be?

Famous last words, right?

The thing is, I'm a 21st Century gal, and at some point in the last several years, I have readily hopped on this information super-highway, and I haven't looked back. I shop online, I pay bills online, and I keep up with old friends...online. I stay abreast of current events and political happeningsā€¦online. Before I go anywhere, I get driving directions and check the weather...online. I no longer own a dictionary or yellow pages. Instead, I have high-speed Internet access. 24-hours a day--unlimited resources--at my fingertips.

It's occurred to me that the management of my life is done, largely...online.

One day I will regale my children with stories of life before computers. I'll tell them that, pre-google, we were forced to use encyclopedias. Maybe, with nostalgic fondness, I'll explain 444-FILM and directory assistance. And, definitely, in a world of iTunes and downloaded music, I'll have to convey to them the thrill of going to the record store and buying a new CD....and actually holding it in your hands.

I imagine that, in a changing world, computer dependency is only going to get more pronounced. I can't help but wonder what the implications are of living such a machine-dependent life. Even as I'm writing this, I've discovered that my palm pilot has crashed, again, for the third time in six months. My calendar and addresses have been completely erased. Again. For the third time. In six months.

Why have I put so much trust in small electronic devices? And, If technology is supposed to simplify my lifeā€¦. why isn't my life any easier?


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, my sweet baby girl...

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Oh Emmers - I feel your pain. s of late, I've been distraught regarding my work-load here at the office - it's keeping me form my blogging, my commenting, my emailing...my source of life! How could this be happening...?!?! I feel so...so disconnected. Something MUST change soon.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

you've inspired me

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I'm going to do something tomorrow night

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

I like your mystical pondering. Maybe I need a fast from computers.

Monday, September 05, 2005 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Okay. I'm in. You're back soon. Can we start blogging/commenting again soon???

Friday, September 09, 2005 12:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home